Skip to main content

Hazen + Josh #promready

Let me just start by saying eighth graders most definitely don't look like they used to.

Hazen is my niece.  She's a towering six feet tall, which didn't help with my perspective or angle today while shooting.  She's also gorgeous, free-spirited, a goofball, and a sort of tomboy.  I think she's well-rounded and a heck of young lady, but I could be biased.  ;)

When Hazen was born, I was given the privilege of being in the delivery room.  I even got to cut her cord.  No one explained to me how to cut the cord, though.  I should have cut clean all the way through, but I just snipped it causing blood to stream in quick spurts all over me, the nurses, and the rest of the room.  Oops.  At least I just had to do it that one time.

She was the cutest little girl who loved to play more than anything, a lot like my Izzy.  In fact, Izzy looks so much like Hazen when she was little.  Some pictures are like mirror images of the two.  But one day, Hazen walked outside and she wasn't little anymore.  She shot up to this towering goddess, I mean towering over this 5' 3" shorty, her hair was long and flowing in the wind, her dimples were the most flattering, and her feet were huge.  Somehow she turned into a young lady overnight.  I'm still perplexed when I look at her.  Sometimes I even wonder if she is, in fact, the little Hazen I knew.  Man, it's hard getting old.

What I love about Hazen is that she is true to herself.  She knows what her values are and she sticks to them.  My hope for Hazen is that she continues to always do what is right, making choices that will prove she is a good person like the girl we know.  I hope she is always accepting of others, because as we all know, those teenage years are tough.  I hope she understands that life as she knows it is not as complicated as it seems.

Next year, our family will make frequent visits to area gyms to support her as a Lady Bulldog playing the game she loves.  Time is so fleeting, so I hope she makes the best of the next four years.  No matter what, we will be there to support her and to show how proud we are of who she is.

To celebrate the end of an era, prom night signifies for this group a couple of things:  1) they clean up pretty well; and 2) times, they are a-changin'...for everyone.  Hazen asked her date Josh to the prom by buying him some chicken nuggets and adding a note that said she would be one happy nugget if he would go with her.  That's Hazen, blazing her own trail.  These two are good friends, and they laugh a lot.

Josh was a trooper during the hour I made him sit, stand, smile, look this way...no that way, put his hand a wall, lean, etc.  He never complained.  We did, however, get somewhat of a history lesson about the downtown Johnson City area.  We stepped into C. S. McCullough's Barber Shop where Randy allowed us to take a few quick photos.  Big thanks to him and the crew there.  This high end barber shop offers a range of services and products, but the shop is beautiful (the lighting is my favorite)!  Josh was lucky enough to sit in a chair supposedly once used by Al Capone himself.  Since Josh didn't know about Al Capone, we talked a little about him.  I mentioned Capone was a real O.G., which led to another discussion because Hazen heard G and immediately went to GOAT.  I forget how young these kids are.

Since this is an eighth grade prom, I wanted to keep things simple and fun.  What better atmosphere than Fizz Soda Bar?!  This whimsical place offers a ton of tasty floats and other treats, and again, the shop is beautiful.  The kids shared a float or two while I snapped away.  I loved capturing their youthfulness and playfulness, but still, these two look much older than your eighth graders of the past.

We walked around to a favorite building of mine to get some great textures in the background.  Once they heard music, I learned that Hazen is not shy about dancing around, whereas Josh is a little more reserved.  Nevertheless, there were many laughs.  I exercised my ability to use new slang like "bae," well only that one word, but I also failed miserably while giving directions in pick up lines.  Again, I got the laughs I needed.

I enjoyed my time with these two, and I was just as excited about capturing these images as they were about getting to prom to hang out and show off with all of their friends.  I hope tonight is a night they'll remember forever, one of fun, dancing, and just a being a kid.  Because they still are kids, right?  You tell me.

Oh, and I can't forget to give a shout out to Chelsey Milhorn for Hazen's hair and makeup.  She always does a great job!  Thanks, Chelsey, for helping Hazen's true beauty shine through even more than it already does.

Here they are...Hazen and Josh.













































































Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Pops, Splash Pads, and Creeks

I've not posted in a few days, but that doesn't mean I haven't been shooting.  I'm trying to make a habit of photographing some moment every day, no matter how seemingly insignificant.  Sometimes I don't get much, but sometimes I do.   Izzy has a neighbor friend that she plays with often, and it seems like every time they play, they eat.  This particular day brought them ice pops and confetti cake.  These two love to play together and the boy has never met a stranger.  He cracks me up with his "Hey!" whenever we see him.  He makes himself at home well, too.  Such a fun kid.   Next, we had another play date with Lexie!  At another splash pad!  We have a few more to visit before we can say we've conquered them all in our area.  This one was at Steele Creek Park in Bristol.  While I like Bristol, and I like Steele Creek Park, I prefer Rotary Park in Johnson City.  Plus, there is a drainage problem here, so o

Splash Pad!

Play date number 2 is in the books!  Two play dates within one week!  Ashley, we're killing it!  :)   We met up at Rotary Park in Johnson City to have fun at the new splash pad.  When we drove up, I was a little worried about the crowd because the parking lot was -FULL- but it wasn't that bad.  We just plopped our bags and towels down in the pretty astroturf and got to playing.  It was a beautiful, hot day, so the water was a great idea.  Except I had to remind myself that I had a camera in my hands!  I found myself fascinated with the motion of the water, so I tried to get in as close as I could to capture the movement.  I was also happy to see how blissfully happy the girls were while playing.  Izzy completely let loose as soon as we arrived.  I love that this girl can have so much fun no matter what we do.  Cousin Hazen joined us, but I don't know that she had as much fun as Izzy and Lexie.  She did, however, introduce the girls to different types of fidget spinners

Muddy Puddles

Izzy loves Peppa Pig, and if you've seen the show, you know about muddy puddles.  Today was our day to play like Peppa, George, and all her friends.  Thanks to my good friend Jessie, I had a little nudge of inspiration with a pin from Pinterest, and I figured we might as well have a little fun in the rain today instead of staying cooped up inside.  I was going to hold off on posting these, but I just can't wait.    I love my girl, her smile, her personality, her fearlessness, her strong will, and her playfulness.  I hope she always stays the same! This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License .