Skip to main content

Treasures

Is there anything better than relaxing in your hammock on a warm, breezy evening, hearing your baby girl laugh and pretend to fight off bad guys?  I don't think so.  Luckily, that's just what I got over the weekend.

On Sunday, my husband surprised me with a visit to Knoxville and McKay's, a favorite used book store of mine.  As I glanced through the shelves, mostly for my school library, Izzy would not stop talking about a holiday Barbie from 2001.  I kept saying, "We came here for books, not dolls!"  Nevertheless, she persisted...straight to her daddy...who gave in...quickly and unflinchingly.  Is that even a word?  Now, I have glitter decorating the back seat of my car.  How do I clean up ALL the glitter?  Anybody know?  If you find out, let me know.





Once we made it home, we spent the rest of the evening outside just because it was too nice to be indoors.  A few weeks ago, I managed to snag a heck of a deal on a personal hammock chair for Izzy on Jane.com.  She has waited patiently to used it, so today seemed like a good enough day to try it out.  She helped her daddy blow up the seat and hang it.  Getting into it was a feat, but she made it.  Then, the laughing ensued.  She twisted forward and backward, spinning around in circles until she was dizzy.  She said, "This is the best seat ever!"  I agree.  Now, I can enjoy my hammock without her piling in on top of me.  :)  I figure this hammock chair will be a great little escape for her this summer, perhaps with a book or two.















Suddenly, I turn around to see Mimi and Bob O.  They brought me a beautiful Fox Glove for Mother's Day, so I had to test out my new macro filters for my new lens.  I love experimenting with the different magnifications and depth of field.  While I did this, Bob O and Izzy ran around the yard playing bad guys.  Once she was tired of that, she came over to teach school.  For some reason, we always get in trouble for talking even though Izzy can be quite the intimidating teacher.  She was telling us a story about a little lady bug learning to fly.  The mother lady bug, played by Mimi, had to teach her so that she could go show her classmates, played by Bob O, that she could finally fly.  I love this kid's imagination and creativity.  She can create a story quicker than I can roll out of my hammock.  


















And this is an onion:  



I haven't planted a garden this year, even though I have my raised garden bed in the back yard.  I have a few pots with herbs in them, but that's all.  Still yet, in the unkept lot of dirt and weeds, this onion has lived, thriving through the winter.  The bloom on this plant was so pretty, proving that we can find treasures among the weeds and the forgotten bits.

We all find treasures in the least likely of places.  Izzy's was on the top shelf of a book store, the 2001 Barbie covered in glitter.  Some child had probably received that doll for Christmas, and her mom probably made her keep it in the box as a keepsake.  Yet, there it was for $15.  Izzy tore it out of the box before we could get to the closest red light, and she has slept with it every night since. Izzy had another treasure with her hammock chair.  I don't know what she expected, but once she got in, she was delighted, eyes bright and giggle constant.

My treasure?  A husband who tries to surprise me, light, warmth from the sun, and a good camera and lens with plenty of beautiful subjects, even if the subject is an onion.  




Creative Commons License

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Pops, Splash Pads, and Creeks

I've not posted in a few days, but that doesn't mean I haven't been shooting.  I'm trying to make a habit of photographing some moment every day, no matter how seemingly insignificant.  Sometimes I don't get much, but sometimes I do.   Izzy has a neighbor friend that she plays with often, and it seems like every time they play, they eat.  This particular day brought them ice pops and confetti cake.  These two love to play together and the boy has never met a stranger.  He cracks me up with his "Hey!" whenever we see him.  He makes himself at home well, too.  Such a fun kid.   Next, we had another play date with Lexie!  At another splash pad!  We have a few more to visit before we can say we've conquered them all in our area.  This one was at Steele Creek Park in Bristol.  While I like Bristol, and I like Steele Creek Park, I prefer Rotary Park in Johnson City.  Plus, there is a drainage problem here, so o

Splash Pad!

Play date number 2 is in the books!  Two play dates within one week!  Ashley, we're killing it!  :)   We met up at Rotary Park in Johnson City to have fun at the new splash pad.  When we drove up, I was a little worried about the crowd because the parking lot was -FULL- but it wasn't that bad.  We just plopped our bags and towels down in the pretty astroturf and got to playing.  It was a beautiful, hot day, so the water was a great idea.  Except I had to remind myself that I had a camera in my hands!  I found myself fascinated with the motion of the water, so I tried to get in as close as I could to capture the movement.  I was also happy to see how blissfully happy the girls were while playing.  Izzy completely let loose as soon as we arrived.  I love that this girl can have so much fun no matter what we do.  Cousin Hazen joined us, but I don't know that she had as much fun as Izzy and Lexie.  She did, however, introduce the girls to different types of fidget spinners

Muddy Puddles

Izzy loves Peppa Pig, and if you've seen the show, you know about muddy puddles.  Today was our day to play like Peppa, George, and all her friends.  Thanks to my good friend Jessie, I had a little nudge of inspiration with a pin from Pinterest, and I figured we might as well have a little fun in the rain today instead of staying cooped up inside.  I was going to hold off on posting these, but I just can't wait.    I love my girl, her smile, her personality, her fearlessness, her strong will, and her playfulness.  I hope she always stays the same! This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License .