Skip to main content

What I Learned About Motherhood On Dance Recital Day

Miss Izzybella showed off her dance skills today, and boy, are we proud!

Honestly, this day was a hot mess.  I am not made to be a #dancemom.  Just no.  First, I was so wrong on my timing of when to get ready, how long it would take to do her hair - which, by the way, ballerina buns are the devil - and how long it would take me to get myself in some sort of presentable fashion.  Needless to say, I was flustered and, quite frankly, irritated to the maximum level.  And what did I do?  I took that frustration out on everybody else.  Well, mostly my husband.  Sorry, honey.

Once we arrived at the venue, we had to walk all the way around the building twice - at least it seemed that way - because all the doors were locked except the main entrance.  Meanwhile, Bella Ruth wants to play, dig in the dirt, run in the wet grass, pick up leaves.  I'm screaming, "No!" and "Don't get dirty!" and "Great. Your tights are dirty!"

Once we finally get inside, trying to figure out which way to go was a maze.  When I asked, I'm looked at like "Why don't you know already."  Well, sorry, folks, but while y'all were having your technical practice, this momma was still at work.  Oh, the frustration.  Then, we picked our seats high in the balcony because everybody in the gallery seating had saved entire rows with one purse.  An anxious lady decided she wanted to sit in our row, but instead of allowing me to get up and move out of the way, she stands so close to me that I step on her.  Her response, "Ow!  Watch out!"  I'm just trying to give you room, lady!  Please Wait, Mr. Panda. 

We finally got settled, Izzy with us because she didn't dance until after intermission, and the curtains opened.  Wow.  Those young ladies and young men were so good!  The littles were so cute looking at each other for the next steps, and the older students were so graceful, elegant, and disciplined.  The costumes were gorgeous, colorful, and sparkly, of course.  And the best overall performance had to be the Boy Bands group performing to Justin Timberlake's "Can't Stop the Feeling" and N*Sync's "Bye, Bye, Bye."  It was epic!  I enjoyed the show, even though it was three hours long and I was hangry, but the highlight for me was Izzy finally making it on stage with a huge smile and a wave to her family.  Bless her little heart!  She was so excited to be in front of that big audience.

I don't know if dance will be Izzy's passion, but she certainly enjoyed herself today.  She looked beautiful and performed well.  Obviously, I'm proud of her.  I hope she knows that my frustration this morning was only because I wanted this day to be perfect for her.  On this Mother's Day Eve, I'm reminded again of what this "holiday" means to me.  Moms work hard for everything to be just perfect, most especially for their children.  Sure, there is societal pressure for moms to have it together, but for me, it's a personal issue.  I want only the best for Izzy.  Our life is not perfect, though.  Izzy and I argue.  She makes me want to scream, and sometimes I do.  She makes me want to ugly cry out of frustration and anger, and sometimes I do.    How it's possible to be so mad and upset with someone, yet still beam with pride and ache with a love that knows no boundaries is completely beyond my understanding.  But that's what motherhood is:  a whole bunch of emotions balled up and shoved down our throats that sometimes leak out of our eye sockets.   And would we change it?  Nope.  Not one bit.

Case and point:  my princess.























Y'all, I'm proud of this bun.  I think I had some sort of magical help today.






She's a star, so she had special star stamps on her eyes.  Thanks, Ipsy Glam Bag for the new eyeliner!














After the show, she said she needed flowers.  Luckily, Aunt Monica came through.  Thanks, Sis!






Creative Commons License

Comments

  1. I love you girl! No one realizes the struggle of wanting to scream and cry just to make everything perfect unless you are actually a Mom! She is gorgeous and I'm sure she had an amazing day! You and Randy are great parents ❤ Happy Mother's Day!
    Love, Stacey!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! Mommas know! Thanks for the sweet compliment! Randy and I try really hard! 😉

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Pops, Splash Pads, and Creeks

I've not posted in a few days, but that doesn't mean I haven't been shooting.  I'm trying to make a habit of photographing some moment every day, no matter how seemingly insignificant.  Sometimes I don't get much, but sometimes I do.   Izzy has a neighbor friend that she plays with often, and it seems like every time they play, they eat.  This particular day brought them ice pops and confetti cake.  These two love to play together and the boy has never met a stranger.  He cracks me up with his "Hey!" whenever we see him.  He makes himself at home well, too.  Such a fun kid.   Next, we had another play date with Lexie!  At another splash pad!  We have a few more to visit before we can say we've conquered them all in our area.  This one was at Steele Creek Park in Bristol.  While I like Bristol, and I like Steele Creek Park, I prefer Rotary Park in Johnson City.  Plus, there is a drainage problem here, so o

Splash Pad!

Play date number 2 is in the books!  Two play dates within one week!  Ashley, we're killing it!  :)   We met up at Rotary Park in Johnson City to have fun at the new splash pad.  When we drove up, I was a little worried about the crowd because the parking lot was -FULL- but it wasn't that bad.  We just plopped our bags and towels down in the pretty astroturf and got to playing.  It was a beautiful, hot day, so the water was a great idea.  Except I had to remind myself that I had a camera in my hands!  I found myself fascinated with the motion of the water, so I tried to get in as close as I could to capture the movement.  I was also happy to see how blissfully happy the girls were while playing.  Izzy completely let loose as soon as we arrived.  I love that this girl can have so much fun no matter what we do.  Cousin Hazen joined us, but I don't know that she had as much fun as Izzy and Lexie.  She did, however, introduce the girls to different types of fidget spinners

Muddy Puddles

Izzy loves Peppa Pig, and if you've seen the show, you know about muddy puddles.  Today was our day to play like Peppa, George, and all her friends.  Thanks to my good friend Jessie, I had a little nudge of inspiration with a pin from Pinterest, and I figured we might as well have a little fun in the rain today instead of staying cooped up inside.  I was going to hold off on posting these, but I just can't wait.    I love my girl, her smile, her personality, her fearlessness, her strong will, and her playfulness.  I hope she always stays the same! This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License .