Skip to main content

To Those We've Lost

Happy Memorial Day.

Happy doesn't seem to fit that expression, but somewhere along the way, the idea of a holiday was supposed to be happy.  I guess that's why the word is added.  Yet, to so many on this day, "happy" is far-fetched expression and the last descriptive word one would use.

Sure, Memorial Day usually marks the beginning of summer for many people.  Most schools are out, and since there is a three-day weekend, why not celebrate with friends and family?  It makes sense.  But this morning, I ventured over to the VA where I saw the flagged marked graves, the marble headstones, and many others paying respects to those who fought bravely for our country.  Somber is a more appropriate word.

I drove onto Freedom Rd. over to section HH.  I parked, grabbed my camera, and walked carefully to the back row under the tree.  Row sixteen, spot twenty-five.  There they were, my Pappy and Mimi, Ben and Ethel.  The emotion flooded over me and without my realizing, tears flowed down my face.  I didn't quite expect this reaction, but it's been so long since I visited, I guess this was way overdue.

After a few minutes, I remembered bits and pieces of my past.  Sitting on the carport, cutting grass with Mimi's clippers.  Telling stories to Pappy and listening to his.  Combing his hair with plenty of Vitalis.  Stabbing fallen apples with a stick and catapulting them into the field for the deer.  Standing incredibly short next to sky-high holly halks.  Sticking canna seeds up my nose.  Playing with my money from the money tree.  Washing what-nots.  Smelling cigarette smoke, bacon, and homemade chocolate pie.  You know, I watched Mimi make dozens of her chocolate pies, but I didn't pay enough attention to get the recipe.  Like it would matter anyway.  Nobody can make them like Mimi.

Pappy passed away when I was a freshman in high school, and while I remember all of those lazy days at his house, I vividly remember the sight of him in the hospital bed.  It haunts me still.  Part of me wishes I had never visited him in the hospital so that I could only remember the good parts.  But such is life.  Good and bad.  I know Pappy served in the Army, and I'm pretty sure, if memory serves me correctly, that he served in the same platoon or company as George Bush, Sr.  Maybe I'm making that up, but I could swear I heard a story about that once.

In addition to Pappy, my grandfather Haskel served during WWII.  Before he passed, he lived at Mountain Home. I was lucky enough to let him know I was expecting Izzy before he died.  I was trying to keep her a secret, but Papaw already sensed it.  Papaw told me a story about being so hungry on Christmas while deployed.  He said everyone in his group was starving, but by some luck, they received some gifts that particular day.  Papaw got Spam.  He said it was the best thing he had ever tasted.

These two men in my life were fortunate to make it home from their war days.  On this Memorial Day, I suppose I can be happy reminiscing on my childhood memories with them. I was lucky to have them with me.  So many others, however, never met their wives, their children, or their grandchildren.  Mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, fellow soldiers can remember good times like I can, but they must also experience a pang of grief so incomprehensible to me or many others.  How painful it must be to bury a son or a daughter fighting for causes that are so much bigger and more complicated than anything we can understand.  Just yesterday, mom was talking about a man who lived in our small town.  He got into some trouble with the law, stealing or something, but instead of going to jail, he opted to served in Vietnam where he lost his life.  I wonder if he would have made the same decision, if he had a decision at all.  I wonder if his parents ever found peace.

Perhaps I'm rambling inappropriately, but I felt compelled to post about my loved ones who served our country.  I know so many others serving today, my husband of course, and I'm thankful that they are willing to protect the freedoms that so many others fought for and died to protect.  I'm thankful that there is something more powerful than political parties, government administration or officials to unite our country; it is the very soldiers who weave the fabric of our country together.

On this Memorial Day, may the happy memories of our loved ones overpower the grief and sadness.














Creative Commons License

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Pops, Splash Pads, and Creeks

I've not posted in a few days, but that doesn't mean I haven't been shooting.  I'm trying to make a habit of photographing some moment every day, no matter how seemingly insignificant.  Sometimes I don't get much, but sometimes I do.   Izzy has a neighbor friend that she plays with often, and it seems like every time they play, they eat.  This particular day brought them ice pops and confetti cake.  These two love to play together and the boy has never met a stranger.  He cracks me up with his "Hey!" whenever we see him.  He makes himself at home well, too.  Such a fun kid.   Next, we had another play date with Lexie!  At another splash pad!  We have a few more to visit before we can say we've conquered them all in our area.  This one was at Steele Creek Park in Bristol.  While I like Bristol, and I like Steele Creek Park, I prefer Rotary Park in Johnson City.  Plus, there is a drainage problem here, so o

Splash Pad!

Play date number 2 is in the books!  Two play dates within one week!  Ashley, we're killing it!  :)   We met up at Rotary Park in Johnson City to have fun at the new splash pad.  When we drove up, I was a little worried about the crowd because the parking lot was -FULL- but it wasn't that bad.  We just plopped our bags and towels down in the pretty astroturf and got to playing.  It was a beautiful, hot day, so the water was a great idea.  Except I had to remind myself that I had a camera in my hands!  I found myself fascinated with the motion of the water, so I tried to get in as close as I could to capture the movement.  I was also happy to see how blissfully happy the girls were while playing.  Izzy completely let loose as soon as we arrived.  I love that this girl can have so much fun no matter what we do.  Cousin Hazen joined us, but I don't know that she had as much fun as Izzy and Lexie.  She did, however, introduce the girls to different types of fidget spinners

Muddy Puddles

Izzy loves Peppa Pig, and if you've seen the show, you know about muddy puddles.  Today was our day to play like Peppa, George, and all her friends.  Thanks to my good friend Jessie, I had a little nudge of inspiration with a pin from Pinterest, and I figured we might as well have a little fun in the rain today instead of staying cooped up inside.  I was going to hold off on posting these, but I just can't wait.    I love my girl, her smile, her personality, her fearlessness, her strong will, and her playfulness.  I hope she always stays the same! This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License .