Skip to main content

Playtime

Springtime is my favorite, mostly because we can come home in the evenings from work and school and still have plenty of time to play outside before the sun goes down.  Unfortunately, the kiddo still has a bedtime, which she hates with a passion.  Life gets so busy that slowing down and enjoying some of the simplest of things can become a burden.  Who has time to just sit?

We, however, make time to sit.  I watch my girl interact with her toys and her imagination soars.  Her stories bring her plastic friends to life, and suddenly, conversations and experiences are happening before my eyes.  When I was little, I often pretended.  I had to.  My sister was almost ten years older than I, so most of the time, she wasn't interested in playing with me.  I would hide myself away in a closet or in the downstairs basement, which wasn't as bad as it sounds, and I would pretend play for who knows how long.  Watching my daughter, seeing her imagination come to life, reminds me of all those times I taught my students and wrote my own stories as a small child.  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to pretend like we used to?

As an adult, I have a hard time stopping to pretend play with my daughter, but I need to do it.  These are the moments that Izzy displays her own character.  She shows me that she know how to have fun in a safe and responsible way.

"Only one at a time on the slide!"


She shows me that she knows how to be respectful towards others.

"Stay in line.  No skipping!"




She shows me that she knows her manners.

"I'll take one donut, please."  "Oh, thank you very much!"  "You're welcome!"




She shows me she is friendly and kind.

"Oh, hello there!  What's your name?"  "Want to play with me?"  "You're so sweet!"  "I just love you!"





She shows me that these Littlest Pet Shops aren't just plastic toys but friends that help her express her own emotions, needs, and wants.  She's so funny with this bunch of toys.  She knows all of their names; Caroline is THE. MOST. IMPORTANT.  Do not lose Caroline!  She knows the theme song.  She watches other children play with them on youtube and then reenacts the same situations.  She has painted them.  She has bathed with them.  She takes them along for every car ride, and I'm pretty sure there are a few in my purse.  This girl loves her Pet Shops.  And I love watching Izzy play with them.  I hope she always has this playful imagination.






Creative Commons License

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Pops, Splash Pads, and Creeks

I've not posted in a few days, but that doesn't mean I haven't been shooting.  I'm trying to make a habit of photographing some moment every day, no matter how seemingly insignificant.  Sometimes I don't get much, but sometimes I do.   Izzy has a neighbor friend that she plays with often, and it seems like every time they play, they eat.  This particular day brought them ice pops and confetti cake.  These two love to play together and the boy has never met a stranger.  He cracks me up with his "Hey!" whenever we see him.  He makes himself at home well, too.  Such a fun kid.   Next, we had another play date with Lexie!  At another splash pad!  We have a few more to visit before we can say we've conquered them all in our area.  This one was at Steele Creek Park in Bristol.  While I like Bristol, and I like Steele Creek Park, I prefer Rotary Park in Johnson City.  Plus, there is a drainage problem here, so o

Splash Pad!

Play date number 2 is in the books!  Two play dates within one week!  Ashley, we're killing it!  :)   We met up at Rotary Park in Johnson City to have fun at the new splash pad.  When we drove up, I was a little worried about the crowd because the parking lot was -FULL- but it wasn't that bad.  We just plopped our bags and towels down in the pretty astroturf and got to playing.  It was a beautiful, hot day, so the water was a great idea.  Except I had to remind myself that I had a camera in my hands!  I found myself fascinated with the motion of the water, so I tried to get in as close as I could to capture the movement.  I was also happy to see how blissfully happy the girls were while playing.  Izzy completely let loose as soon as we arrived.  I love that this girl can have so much fun no matter what we do.  Cousin Hazen joined us, but I don't know that she had as much fun as Izzy and Lexie.  She did, however, introduce the girls to different types of fidget spinners

Muddy Puddles

Izzy loves Peppa Pig, and if you've seen the show, you know about muddy puddles.  Today was our day to play like Peppa, George, and all her friends.  Thanks to my good friend Jessie, I had a little nudge of inspiration with a pin from Pinterest, and I figured we might as well have a little fun in the rain today instead of staying cooped up inside.  I was going to hold off on posting these, but I just can't wait.    I love my girl, her smile, her personality, her fearlessness, her strong will, and her playfulness.  I hope she always stays the same! This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License .