Skip to main content

The Small Things...Literally.

     Last Friday was a long day for me.  My book fair at school ended, so I stayed late packing up and trying to close out the register.  I like to think I'm a pretty good reader and interpretor of written directions, but obviously I fail when it comes to the simplest of things.  I became so frustrated while trying to use some Scholastic Dollars on my BOGO order, but I neglected to notice the giant barcode that was for turning off the BOGO in order to use SD.  Thanks, Scholastic Customer Service Lady.  Then, I was upset because I didn't get BOGO that I didn't make a purchase at all.  Ugh. Red tape kills me.

     Meanwhile, Mimi, Bob O, and Izzy were kind enough to go to Longhorn and get our names on the wait list.  A few minutes later, however, they called saying the table was available...no wait on a Friday night at 7pm.  Ok, cool.  So I just locked up and left.  The aggravation and exhaustion were enough to send me out the door anyway.  Plus, I was starving.

     Izzy is a meat eater, for sure, but tonight she declared she was eating only broccoli.  Whatever you say, sister!  Bob O must have thought this was reason enough to get Izzy a new toy.  We went down the hill to Target afterward where Bob O not only bought Izzy a brand new toy but some cool new sneakers, as well.

     After we got home, even though it was past her bedtime, Izzy wouldn't rest until the toy was opened.  Every single delicately plastic covered piece.  Although, I must admit that the toy is pretty sweet.  Whoever designed it certainly paid attention to detail.  Meet the Panda family on a visit to the Farmer's Market.




All of those little things are individual pieces.  The fish, the peppers, the price signage.  All individual pieces.  Wonder how long it will take to lose something?


















The Post-It notes served as the cash register.  :)




     This child of mine loves the smallest things when it comes to toys.  Sure, she was desperate for a Barbie Dream House from Santa.  Sure, she immediately eyes the large ice cream truck for her AG dolls (I'm sure it has hundreds of small pieces!).  But the critters like these pandas, those are her true loves.  Izzy is absolutely content sitting at the table - our table is always covered with small toys, by the way - playing with her figurines.  She will pretend for hours at a time without interruption.  This toy has sat at the table since Friday.  

Unfortunately, the aggravation and exhaustion I felt Friday evening were not just because of a long week of BOGO Book Fair.  I visited the Urgent Care Clinic Saturday afternoon to learn I had strep, so Izzy spent the rest of the weekend with my mom and sister.  When Mimi asked if she wanted to take her Farmer's Market toy with her, Izzy responded that there were too many small pieces.  She came home Sunday night with a fever and bright red throat.  Her daddy took her to the doctor this morning to confirm the suspected mom-diagnosed illness and to get the prescription.  Since returning home, she has come and gone to the table to play with the Panda family and the Farmer's Market.  And if you know Izzy at all, you know she had to include the Littlest Pet Shops in the shopping experience.  I'm guessing they are the vendors because one was so late for work!  So, based on our experiences with toys, smaller is better.  Until mom or dad steps on those small pieces in the dark.  Yes, we all know that is no fun.  

     She handles this illness way better than I do.  I've asked her several times if she wants to cuddle in bed and watch a movie, but she refuses.  Me?  I've only moved from the bed to the couch.  I wish I had her resilience. 

Just to recap in case you weren't paying attention - small things...
  • Read the instructions for the smallest of details to avoid getting frustrated and embarrassing yourself on a phone call with customer service.
  • Be thankful when you don't have to wait on a table on a Friday night after a long, exhausting day.
  • Eat your broccoli, get rewards.
  • Enjoy the small toys with your children because those bring out the best imaginative stories.
  • Envy the fact that the smallest of humans can tolerate any illness better than us big grown up people; they simply put their mind on something else much more important like panda families or Littlest Pet Shops.
I keep learning every single day because of this little lady.  




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Pops, Splash Pads, and Creeks

I've not posted in a few days, but that doesn't mean I haven't been shooting.  I'm trying to make a habit of photographing some moment every day, no matter how seemingly insignificant.  Sometimes I don't get much, but sometimes I do.   Izzy has a neighbor friend that she plays with often, and it seems like every time they play, they eat.  This particular day brought them ice pops and confetti cake.  These two love to play together and the boy has never met a stranger.  He cracks me up with his "Hey!" whenever we see him.  He makes himself at home well, too.  Such a fun kid.   Next, we had another play date with Lexie!  At another splash pad!  We have a few more to visit before we can say we've conquered them all in our area.  This one was at Steele Creek Park in Bristol.  While I like Bristol, and I like Steele Creek Park, I prefer Rotary Park in Johnson City.  Plus, there is a drainage problem here, so o

Splash Pad!

Play date number 2 is in the books!  Two play dates within one week!  Ashley, we're killing it!  :)   We met up at Rotary Park in Johnson City to have fun at the new splash pad.  When we drove up, I was a little worried about the crowd because the parking lot was -FULL- but it wasn't that bad.  We just plopped our bags and towels down in the pretty astroturf and got to playing.  It was a beautiful, hot day, so the water was a great idea.  Except I had to remind myself that I had a camera in my hands!  I found myself fascinated with the motion of the water, so I tried to get in as close as I could to capture the movement.  I was also happy to see how blissfully happy the girls were while playing.  Izzy completely let loose as soon as we arrived.  I love that this girl can have so much fun no matter what we do.  Cousin Hazen joined us, but I don't know that she had as much fun as Izzy and Lexie.  She did, however, introduce the girls to different types of fidget spinners

Muddy Puddles

Izzy loves Peppa Pig, and if you've seen the show, you know about muddy puddles.  Today was our day to play like Peppa, George, and all her friends.  Thanks to my good friend Jessie, I had a little nudge of inspiration with a pin from Pinterest, and I figured we might as well have a little fun in the rain today instead of staying cooped up inside.  I was going to hold off on posting these, but I just can't wait.    I love my girl, her smile, her personality, her fearlessness, her strong will, and her playfulness.  I hope she always stays the same! This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License .