Skip to main content

Last Day of K

Well, that went fast.

This school year has been one heck of a ride for us.  We visited Vanderbilt for the first time July 27 of last year.  Once we were told we qualified for an implant, we waited.  Almost this entire school year has been a count down for us, a count down to the next big thing...CT scan, meeting with the surgeon, finally gettting the surgery scheduled, surgery, activation, first mapping, genetic testing (which we are still waiting for).  So, part of me wants to say all the waiting made this year drag along, but now that we are finally here on the last day of kindergarten, I feel like maybe time moved along faster than I realized.  Life seemed to dominate my focus, but school was Izzy's.




Izzy's kindergarten year was busy and amazing.  I hope that all parents can look back on their child's first year of school with the same elation that I do.  Mrs. Hodges was The. Perfect. Teacher. for Izzy.  Izzy loves her so much and has learned many of her expressions and sayings.  Izzy can even imitate Mrs. Hodges' tone of voice pretty well, too.  We know because we play school and Izzy is always Mrs. Hodges.  The other night I was talking with Izzy about going on to first grade, but Izzy became sad.  She said she wanted to stay with Mrs. Hodges.  When I pressed for a reason, it all came down to Choice Time.  Izzy is afraid that she will have so much work to do in first grade and that there won't be Choice Time.  So, she would rather stay with Mrs. Hodges.  And Izzy might have trouble with change.  I explained to her that first grade will have new things that she doesn't even know about, but for now, that isn't good enough so we don't talk about it.  Luckily, Mrs. Hodges had planned for one more round of Choice Time this morning, and the students could sit anywhere they wanted.  Needless to say, that was the best part of Izzy's day.





















Throughout this year, Izzy has grown three inches, lost seven teeth, gone up at least one size in clothing and shoes, received a new ear, learned to read, learned math strategies for adding and subtracting, learned to identify basic story elements, learned to use a computer to read ebooks, memorized all her personal information including her usernames and passwords (some of mine, too!),   strengthened her speech especially /l/, /f/, /v/, sung the actual words to actual songs, made new (and hopefully lifelong) friends, and developed even more Izzy sass.  Since I can't yell from the mountain tops, the Internet will have to do:  I AM SO PROUD OF MY BABY CAKES!



















To Mrs. Hodges:  My family is indebted to you for being such a nurturing, encouraging teacher.  We will remember you and your kindness forever.  Thank you for teaching our baby.




Our plans for this summer?  Well, first up and most important, a play date with Lexie.  We'll figure the rest out later.



Creative Commons License

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Pops, Splash Pads, and Creeks

I've not posted in a few days, but that doesn't mean I haven't been shooting.  I'm trying to make a habit of photographing some moment every day, no matter how seemingly insignificant.  Sometimes I don't get much, but sometimes I do.   Izzy has a neighbor friend that she plays with often, and it seems like every time they play, they eat.  This particular day brought them ice pops and confetti cake.  These two love to play together and the boy has never met a stranger.  He cracks me up with his "Hey!" whenever we see him.  He makes himself at home well, too.  Such a fun kid.   Next, we had another play date with Lexie!  At another splash pad!  We have a few more to visit before we can say we've conquered them all in our area.  This one was at Steele Creek Park in Bristol.  While I like Bristol, and I like Steele Creek Park, I prefer Rotary Park in Johnson City.  Plus, there is a drainage problem here, so o

Splash Pad!

Play date number 2 is in the books!  Two play dates within one week!  Ashley, we're killing it!  :)   We met up at Rotary Park in Johnson City to have fun at the new splash pad.  When we drove up, I was a little worried about the crowd because the parking lot was -FULL- but it wasn't that bad.  We just plopped our bags and towels down in the pretty astroturf and got to playing.  It was a beautiful, hot day, so the water was a great idea.  Except I had to remind myself that I had a camera in my hands!  I found myself fascinated with the motion of the water, so I tried to get in as close as I could to capture the movement.  I was also happy to see how blissfully happy the girls were while playing.  Izzy completely let loose as soon as we arrived.  I love that this girl can have so much fun no matter what we do.  Cousin Hazen joined us, but I don't know that she had as much fun as Izzy and Lexie.  She did, however, introduce the girls to different types of fidget spinners

Muddy Puddles

Izzy loves Peppa Pig, and if you've seen the show, you know about muddy puddles.  Today was our day to play like Peppa, George, and all her friends.  Thanks to my good friend Jessie, I had a little nudge of inspiration with a pin from Pinterest, and I figured we might as well have a little fun in the rain today instead of staying cooped up inside.  I was going to hold off on posting these, but I just can't wait.    I love my girl, her smile, her personality, her fearlessness, her strong will, and her playfulness.  I hope she always stays the same! This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License .